3.29.2008

Worst Mother Moment Yet : (

This week our good friends Ryan and Amanda Bishop came to Tri-Cities for a job interview, and we were lucky enough to be able to meet up with them. It's been like forever since we've seen each other, and we always have lots of fun together! It would be super awesome if they ended up taking the job here, because then we could really get some good hang out time and kids play time in. Well, they came over on Thursday when Jess was getting off of work, and we showed the house and then we were going to go grab some Inca's for dinner! Now the sad part of the story, as I was showing Amanda around our house we went into the master bedroom, and Conner was following us around. I just picked him up and put him on our bed. He always gets up on our bed, and he's known how to get down off of things for awhile, so I didn't think anything of it. I always put him up on the couch and bed and stuff and when he wants down he just turns around and drops down feet first. Well as Amanda and I were talking Conner was walking around on top of the bed, and some how he like slipped or kind of bounced off, and he hit the floor head first extremely hard! I can still hear the sound of the thud in my head, and it just makes me sick to my stomach! I just walked over to him and picked him up and of course he was doing that silent cry thing because he fell so hard, but this kid falls all the time and just hops right back up and keeps on going. When I picked him up and he was doing that whole little silent cry thing I knew that he was hurt, poor guy! Well Ryan and Jess came into the room because they heard the thud out in the kitchen and by then Conner was full on crying. As they came in the room Conner started to act really funny and was arching his back and kind of stopped crying, so I laid him down on the bed. His eyes kind of rolled up, and he kept arching his back and was kind of unresponsive for a little bit. I grabbed his face and was looking in his eyes and saying "Conner" but of course he didn't react. My first instint was "We need to call 911" I was worried that he had a neck injury or something, but it was just super scary to see him like that! Thank goodness everyone else around me was calm, because they just reassured us that everything was going to be okay. Ryan is graduating in Physical Therapy and so he's pretty good at staying calm I guess in these kinds of mother freak out situations. I was so glad that Ryan and Amanda were there because they said that the same thing happened to their daughter once, and after a while she calmed down and she was okay. It was good to hear that I just wasn't a bad mother that lets her little guy fall on his head! He was only unresponsive for just a little bit, but man it felt like forever to me! After a couple of seconds he started to cry again, and he just snuggled up to me for awhile. He then did get super pale though and I was just waiting for him to throw up all over me! We think that either he just got really really dazed from hitting his head so hard, or that he actually did get a concussion. He's fine now thank goodness and that night after dinner he was running around and playing with the big guys, but man I hope we never have to experience that again! I know that those kind of situations are just beginning, but I just was haunted by that experience forever! It still makes me so sad to picture Conner like that! : ( Here's some pictures of Conner helping me make cookies earlier that day! He's so funny! He just loves to sit up on the counter and watch me cook! He'll even help with pouring things in and using the hand mixer! Of course his favorite part is when he gets a beater to lick off! : ) What a cutie!

10 comments:

Ryan and April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan and April said...

holy molly kellie... scary...next time please have Conner checked out for me. Unresponsive for any amount of time is bad news. contorting, eyes rolling back, not responding for a couple of seconds can be a million different possibilities. They say that a baby falling from a distance higher than a chair are at risk for a small brain bleed, and symptoms for that wouldn't show for 12-24 hours.

P.S. those cookies look amazing

Kacey Nielsen said...

I hate that... why do babies ever have to get hurt?

Melinda said...

Hey Kellie, how are ya? Remember when we were roomies...good times! haha. Well your baby is so cute, we need to come visit you guys!

Jeff and Megan said...

man, totally scary! When shannon was only like 2 months, she fell off my bed! Not enough room to explain, but i took her to get x-rays and everything! And then again when she just started to climb, all the way down a full flight of stairs! GEEZ, if your a bad mom for just that, I must be Horrible! She was okay, and I was A LOT more careful after that! Kids will be kids, and usually are okay! :) Yummy cookies!

mumovearls said...

That is so scary - Honey has done some things like that before just remember to stay calm- Lots of Love-n

Nice banner!

Stephanie Kay Moore said...

Kellie, what a scary story. I'm hoping he wasn't the "unresponsive" I know that you're talking about and rather just dazed. haha Keep an eye on that boy and avoid some head banging for awhile and he'll be okay. The picture of him with the cookies just makes me miss him so much. Sigh... wish I saw you guys more!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan and April said...

I want to see some more cute prego pictures of you! I can't believe how big Conner looks...what a stinkin' doll! He is your twin, me and Ryan both agree. What a poor baby...give him lots of kisses from his Auntie and cousins! Oh, and how did you do the cute banner!? SO cute! Hope you're feeling well, we miss you guys tons!

Samantha said...

Kellie! That is so scary. I am so glad you weren't alone, cause if that happened to me and I wasn't alone i would've FREAKED OUT!

Nick and Kristen Honeycutt said...

Glad he's okay... mmm, those cookies look great!
-k